The Ru Stoer Lighthouse, also known as Stoer Head, (NC 003331)was built in 1870 by the famous Stevenson family of lighthouse builders - of which Robert Louis Stevenson, author of Treasure Island, was a member. Now automated, the keepers' accommodation is available for holiday lets.
Next to the house can be seen the field and pigsty in which the keepers kept their livestock.
On the hill, up the track from the lighthouse car park are the remains of a Radar Station which operated during World War II.
A walk to the Old Man of Stoer, a pinnacle of rock or sea-stack, 200 feet high, and on to Stoer Head starts from the lighthouse. The walk is fairly level apart from one very slippy and steep gully about half way to the Old Man, but gives some splendid views of the rugged coastal scenery. Walking boots are definitely the order of the day, and watch out for the Bonxies (Arctic Skuas) which divebomb the unwary who approach their nests too closely. Ravens are usually to be seen and heard.
A television series about rock-climbing and mountain rescue was filmed here in the late 1990's.
Other places to visit