| the-scottish-villages.co.uk | | lochinver scotland |

Lochinver Scotland

  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of Lochinver in Scotland.

Stoer


Stoer Bay

The small grouping of houses which comprises the village of Stoer, (NC 040285), is situated on the edge of a wide open bay with a lovely sandy beach.
Until recently, the village had a Post Office and Store and a local joiner's workshop. Both of these have now gone, leaving little apart from the Fank, where sheep are gathered from the surrounding hills for clipping and dipping, the graveyard which is still in use and the ruins of the church. The church was built in 1828 to a standard T-shaped plan, but was too small for the huge population which the area then had, so services were held out-of-doors in fine weather.

Just to the south of Stoer Bay, right on the coast are the remains of a broch. Known as Clachtoll Broch, this Iron Age fort stood about 30 feet high. Externally some 50 feet in diameter but internally only 26 feet, the building had a double wall with a stairway going up between the two walls; the remains of this can still be seen, as can the doorway which, for protection was only about 1 metre high and the same wide. Typical of the west and north coasts of Scotland this is a relatively well preserved example. One of the finest is, of course, that at Mousa in Shetland.


Stoer Church Ruins

Stoer House was built as the Manse for the new church, also in 1828.

Close by, but outside the village to the north is Rhu Stoer Village Hall, which acts as the social centre for events in the area.

Stoer Primary School, also outwith the village and some two miles north, takes all the primary age children from the locality, its catchment area stretching as far as Drumbeg.

Two enterprising local residents have recently set up a poly tunnel and are growing organic vegetables which are available from a box in the village.



Other places to visit